108 • Part I. The Creed: The Faith Professed
Pentecost Sunday as we hear of the Apostles and disciples gathered in
the Upper Room and receiving the Holy Spirit.
1. When in your life would you say you experienced God’s presence?
What were the occasions and the value of these experiences?
2. The Holy Spirit is the Sanctifier who calls us to holiness. When you
hear about being called to be holy, what thoughts arise in your mind?
What would you need to do to be more holy?
3. How do you see the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit at work in
people you know?
• Before his Ascension, Jesus said to the Apostles, “You will receive
power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my
witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of
the earth” (Acts 1:8).
• Whenever the Father sends his Son, he always sends his Spirit: Their
mission is inseparable.
Gifts of the Holy Spirit
: Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel [Right
Judgment*], Fortitude [Courage], Knowledge, Piety [Reverence],
and Fear of the Lord [Wonder and Awe in God’s Presence]. (cf. Is
Fruits of the Holy Spirit
: Charity, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness,
Goodness, Generosity, Gentleness, Faithfulness, Modesty, Self-
control, Chastity. (cf. Gal 5:22-23)
*Bracketed names are alternate names for the gifts as used in the Confirmation Rite.
GIFTS AND FRUITS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT